Here’s another successful flesh eating disease lawsuit. It involves a woman who died from a flesh eating bacteria infection following a routine hip replacement operation at the South Cheshire private hospital.
£80k for man whose wife died from flesh-eating bug
by Liam Murphy, Liverpool Daily Post/Jul 3 2007
A WIDOWER has won £80,000 in an-out-of-court settlement from a Cheshire hospital after his wife died from a flesh-eating bacteria infection.
Brenda Druce, 56, died after being admitted for a routine hip replacement operation which was carried out at the South Cheshire private hospital.
She had been referred there by Leighton Hospital NHS Trust in a bid to reduce NHS waiting times.
Mrs Druce was operated on by consultant orthopaedic surgeon Mr Robert Gillies, who also administered post-operative care at Leighton Hospital when she fell ill after surgery.
Her husband Trevor Druce, 62, of Pipers Ash, Winsford, said: “When Brenda went into hospital for her operation she was in excellent health and was looking forward to a new lease of life with a new hip.
“It’s a terrible blow that such a lively and vital person should have had her life cut short by a perfectly straightforward operation that was meant to improve her quality of life.”
Mrs Druce, who worked as an education manager at Cheshire County Council, was discharged from hospital after her operation, despite the fact that she was showing signs of infection.
She was readmitted three days later when she deteriorated, but her consultant decided against surgery to wash out the wound and prescribed antibiotics. Her condition worsened and necro- tising fasciitis, the “flesh eating” bacteria infection, was diagnosed. She was referred for urgent surgery but had two heart attacks and died on August 2, 2002.
Paul Sankey, a solicitor at national law firm Russell Jones & Walker, represents Mr Druce. He says: “Mrs Druce’s treatment was a sad catalogue of negligence and failure. Her doctors failed to respond to a series of important warning signs and when re-admitted to hospital because her wound was infected, vital surgery that could have saved her was not carried out.
“It is terrible what should have been a straightforward and life-enhancing operation ended so tragically. This compensation largely replaces what Mrs Druce would have contributed to the family finances, had she lived.
“In no way can it start to compensate Mr Druce for his terrible and completely avoidable loss.”
A spokeswoman for Mid Cheshire NHS Trust said it could not comment publicly about individual cases due to patient confidentiality.
But she confirmed “a compromise out-of-court settlement has been agreed by the trust and Mr Druce’s legal representatives”.
She added: “The trust would like once again to extend its sincere condolences to the patient’s family, and while liability was not accepted, assure them that any lessons that resulted from the case have been promptly actioned.”