Flesh Eating Deaths in Hongkong

For the second time in the past two months, the death of a Hongkong patient has been linked to ‘necrotizing fasciitis’ or the bacteria which causes the flesh eating disease.

The unnamed 48-year old man was hospitalised after an injury to his calves but he went into shock and eventually died on September 10. Further laboratory tests revealed that the reason for his death could be linked to said bacterial infection.

Earlier, a 68-year old woman died when she got infected with the flesh eating bacteria. The infection occurred when she hurt her finger while handling a fish.

Flesh eating bacteria-related deaths occur when Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, more known as MRSA, gets into the body of a person through open wounds. It becomes rampant in the body and leads to the destruction of skin muscles and body underlying tissues.

MRSA affects 94, 000 people in the US each year and is linked to about 19, 000 deaths.
Out of two patients with this infection, one can actually die from it according to a CBS report.