Here’s another survivor story. Clive Marshall is a 42-year old dad from Bristol who was infected with the Streptococcus A bacteria which causes the flesh-eating disease.
He survived the infection with the help of the staff of the Bristol Royal Infirmary (BRI).
Continue reading “Survivor Stories: Clive Marshall, Bristol England”
Here’s an inspiring story of a 61-year old Australian woman who survived the deadly flesh-eating bacteria and who is now working to help raise funds to buy a machine for a local hospital which helped her beat the disease. You go, girl!
From the Daily Mercury, by Fallon Hudson:
Continue reading “Flesh Eating Bacteria Survivor: Liz Haley, Australia”
Who can get infected with the flesh-eating bug? Ordinary people like you, me and Tanya Gludau. Celebrities like Michael Jackson. Olympic medalists like Australian swimmer Grant Hackett. And, as you will note when you read the interview below, Nobel Prize winners like Eric Cornell.
Professor Cornell, co-winner of the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1995, was infected with the disease in 2004. It isn’t clear how he got the bug but, according to the Professor, he “must have had a little scratch or a cut there and had that scratch or cut exposed to the invasive form of the strep bacteria”. The bacteria, in case you are wondering, is the necrotizing fasciitis which you can read more about here.
Continue reading “Stories: Eric Cornell, Nobel Laureate”
One of the things I want to do with this blog is to provide a space where we learn about this disease through the stories of people who were infected by it. One such story is the touching tale of Tanya Gludau, a chef who contracted the bacteria when she accidentally cut a finger while preparing food in the kitchen.
Read Tanya’s story, as reported by the Tahoe Daily Tribune, after the jump.
Continue reading “Stories: Tanya Gludau”